Fox Hill in Camden, Maine
Massachusetts-based McLean Hospital will operate a fully licensed, regulated and comprehensive 8-bed Community Living Arrangement for alcohol and related substance abuse treatment and care. Located on the secluded grounds of the Fox Hill Estate, the program will allow clients to take advantage of a full range of state-of-the-art recovery and therapeutic services while residing in a world class, serene retreat that facilitates the recovery process. McLean Hospital will be the sole tenant of the Fox Hill property.
About McLean Hospital
McLean Hospital is a comprehensive psychiatric hospital committed to providing easy access to superior quality, cost-effective mental health services in the Boston area, Massachusetts, Maine and beyond. Since 1811, McLean Hospital has been a world leader in the treatment of chemical dependency and mental illness, research into the cause of mental illness and the training of generations of mental health care providers.
McLean Hospital is an affiliate of Massachusetts General Hospital and a member of the Partners HealthCare System, Inc., which allows for comprehensive coordination of medical and psychiatric services. A major teaching facility of Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital maintains the largest program of research in neuroscience and psychiatry of any private psychiatric hospital in the United States. It is also ranked the nation’s #1 hospital for psychiatry by US News & World Report.
Major clinical programs at McLean Hospital address a broad range of psychiatric illnesses, including: depression, bipolar and psychotic disorders; mood and anxiety disorders; alcohol and drug abuse; dissociative disorders; Alzheimer’s disease and other geriatric illnesses; and child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. Each program offers access to a full continuum of care, including acute inpatient care, acute residential care, partial hospitalization, continuing residential care options and outpatient services both on its main campus as well as several community based settings.
McLean’s multidisciplinary team responds to each patient’s situation with a commitment to individualized treatment that may include individual psychotherapy, group therapy, psychopharmacology and rehabilitation services.
- The proposal for Fox Hill calls for a 8-bed exclusive and discreet program where clients live, full time, in residence in a community arrangement for what will typically be a minimum length of stay of 28 days in order to ensure patients receive the full benefit of the treatment and educational aspects of the program.
- Fox Hill will be staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is anticipated that McLean will employ 25-30 staff members who will be living in the Camden area and the program will utilize a wide variety of local services including laundry, landscaping and catering, hence having a positive economic impact on the community.
- The discreet self-pay residence will provide exceptional clinical care for adult men and women, ages 18 and older, with alcohol and related substance abuse disorders and co-occurring illnesses, such as depression and anxiety.
- The goal of the program is to help participants return to their families and careers while helping them reclaim a sense of self-worth, and learn to manage the stresses of an active life without returning to a counterproductive lifestyle. The care and recovery methods used are developed from evidence-based treatments proven to have positive recovery outcomes.
Comprehensive Multidisciplinary Services at Fox Hill
- A full scope of diagnostic, evaluation and therapeutic services will be provided by McLean’s highly trained and experienced on-site professional staff and health care providers
- Integrated specialty treatment for people with co-occurring addiction and psychiatric illness
- Individual and evidence-based group therapies, including cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Specialty consultation with psychiatrists and psychologists from McLean’s main campus
- A comprehensive mind and body program that includes mindfulness, yoga, fitness, nutrition education, smoking cessation and expressive art and music therapies
- 24-hour on-site support and supervision by highly skilled addiction and mental health specialists
- Hands-on support and education of family members and significant others
- Close collaboration with the local Camden medical and behavioral health community
- Close collaboration with referring providers to develop detailed transition and aftercare plans to help assure continuing recovery
Who We Serve
The proposed program will be designed to provide critical recovery and therapeutic services to clients who may:
- Require further treatment after the successful completion of off-site detoxification
- Experience a pattern of relapse
- Require medication evaluation or currently take medication
- Have addictive disorders complicated by other behavioral health issues
- Seek longer-term individualized care in a discreet, private, world class setting
- Need to make lifestyle changes to maintain sustained recovery
What Does this Mean for the neighborhood and Camden?
Putting a dormant property to stable use
- Preserving a landmark property, including the historic cottage and large open spaces
- Yearly, the town will receive a sizable tax payment from the new owners of Fox Hill
- Any change in the operator of the property will require approval from the town
Low-impact, High Privacy
- Decrease in traffic (currently periodic weddings/events generate significant congestion)
- No visible change to the landscape of the Estate from any angle outside of the property
- Long-term lease to McLean protects against future condominium or business development
- Clients not accepted if they disclose they are going to treatment
- No view of rehabilitation facility from the street or abutting properties
Economic Benefits Directly Attributable to Fox Hill
- Year-round usage (as opposed to current seasonal use) will increase economic benefits
- Operators plan to use local businesses to provide service to the property and clients
- Food service
- Linen Service
- Building Maintenance
- Healthcare personnel
- High likelihood of client visitors patronizing local establishments
Public Health Benefits
- Community health expertise to combat substance abuse and mental illness issues locally
- Initiatives and Partnerships with local health care facilities and clinicians
- Access to cutting-edge treatment information powered by Harvard Medical School
- McLean-hosted educational conferences off-site at locations around Camden